Wednesday 22 April 2015

Weekly Bake...Chocolate Chip Biscuits

Last night I decided to bake the kiddies some of their very favourite Chocolate Chip Biscuits.  I get asked to make these all the time by the kids, and when the kids have friends over it's always my go to recipe for a morning or afternoon treat and is always a hit!

I have been using this recipe forever, as have my parents, and my nanna.  The recipe is from my Nanna's Edmonds cookbook which was passed down to me, with the first edition published in 1907!  I love this recipe because it is a basic biscuit recipe and from there you can add whatever you'd like, I usually make a triple chocolate chip version using the Basic Biscuit recipe below, and add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup total of white, milk and dark chocolate, I usually eyeball it...you'll know when there is enough chocolate chips in there...can there ever be to much chocolate!?  I have also made the lemon and orange version which are so yummy too! I also make a version with nuts and sultanas, the sky really is the limit with this recipe.
 

Basic Biscuit Recipe


Ingredients
125 g butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg
2 cups plain baking flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2cup to 3/4cup chocolate chips (for chocolate chip biscuits)

Method
Cream butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy
Add egg, beating well
Sift flour and baking powder into creamed mixture (I add the chocolate chips here)
Mix well (mixture will look crumbly, this is okay)
Roll and push together heaped teaspoonsful of mixture into balls
Place on a greased/lined oven tray and flatten balls down slightly
Bake at 190°C for 12-15 minutes or until pale golden

Chocolate Biscuits
Add 2 tablespoons cocoa when sifting flour

Orange Biscuits
Omit vanilla essence and add 1 tablespoon grated orange rind to creamed mixture

Lemon Biscuits
Omit vanilla essence add 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind to creamed mixture

Happy baking xx

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment